We are living in a time of many unknowns. We are constantly asking ourselves, “When will things close-down/open back up?”; “When will the kids go back to school (or will they)?”; “When will we get more TP?”. In all seriousness though, there is a lot of uncertainty not just for each of us personally, but for our economy and our communities. The most important thing to remember is we are all in this together!
And “together” means helping our communities in any way we can! Through social media, we’ve seen many ways to do just that. We compiled some of these into one place for easy reference:
- Show your kids how to give back – even from home!
- Write uplifting notes to those quarantined in nursing homes to relieve their quarantine blues. You can deliver to their front doors and they can sanitize before they deliver to their residents. They all need a little pick-me-up right now.
- Paint kindness rocks—art plus kindness=WIN! Take a family walk and place your rocks for others to find and help brighten their day. Just make sure to wash your hands first though!
- Look out for those that need a hand (err, assistance)
- If you see a truck driver in a fast food parking lot, offer to go through the drive through for them. While on the road they don’t have many options and now they can’t go in.
- Have an elderly neighbor? Grab them items at the store so they don’t have to go out.
- Don’t forgot about non-profit organizations Remember our non-profits are struggling with cancellations of many fundraisers across the country. If you have the means, please consider a donation. Look to some of your local relief funds and donate—even a $1 helps! Just make sure you are giving to the right organizations. Here is an article to help: https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/disaster-recovery-what-donors-and-nonprofits-need-know
- Get creative with your creative skills! Can you sew? Have extra material? Hand sewn face masks are in big demand in the medical community. If made correctly they can insert their filters right in. There are many sites where you can get a pattern. Here is one with a few options: https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/
- Support your favorite local spot digitally Buy a Gift Card to a local store/restaurant. This can be a gift for you later, a gift for a friend in need or even as a thank you to those that helped during this time. Thank a nurse, firefighter, policeman or grocery clerk with a gift card to a local business. The gift cards bought now can help a business stay open until this crisis is over, plus you thank those helpers!
- Get inspired by watching this short video on how to help small businesses:
- There are many sites that are highlighting ways to help Small Businesses and Non-Profits. Here are just a few:
Peoples Mortgage would like to Pay It Forward in the communities in which we serve! To find out more about how we are giving back visit: https://peoplesmortgagefoundation.org/payitforward/